6 Tips To Choosing An Online Coach
Congratulations on taking the next steps into your fitness journey! Hiring a professional to guide you to your goal not only keeps you accountable, but they also keep you motivated and working hard in and out of the gym!
Maybe you are looking for a coach for the first time or you are in search of a new coach. There are a few things you should consider when exploring your options; investing in your future is a great thing, but if you don’t know what you are looking for, you are likely to be disappointed with something that doesn’t work for you.
The most important question is; What do YOU want and expect? You MUST know what you are looking for before you go shopping for a coach.
Here are 6 important things to consider before signing up with an online coach.
- Philosophy. This is a very crucial point of to consider because it can end up making or breaking your experience. It is also going to be how your relationship to training and food will develop in the future. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.How does this coach crate programs? What is their philosophy? Is it a cookie cutter plan or something customized to you, based on your fitness level and goals? Do you get to decide if you can do a fully home based program? Do you have to follow a strict meal plan? Or, like FitBody Fusion, will you be following a sustainable and realistic flexible nutrition program. The way you begin your fitness journey, or continue it, will determine the sustainability of your results once the programs end. The best question you can ask: Is this coach going set me up for rebound or failure once my program is over? Don’t be afraid to ask what their philosophy is!
- Progress. Progress can be measured in many many ways. You have weight, photos, body stats/measurements, energy levels, strength, and so much more. How do you want to measure your progress? Find a coach that won’t just base your progress off the scale, but will notice and account for other areas where your hard work is paying off.
- Personality. What motivates you and keeps you on track? Some do best with positive feedback and critique, while other prefer to be drilled and yelled at to stay on track. Whatever your training style is, make sure you talk to the coach and see how they push and motivate their clients.
- Specialties. If you’re looking for something specific — say, competing on the NPC bodybuilding stage for the first time — you’ll want to work with a coach who specializes in contest prep. Not only will they have more expertise and experience in your area of interest, but they likely will be more passionate about it.
- Availability. Because consistency is key when working with an online coach, it’s a good idea to inquire about their schedule. Don’t be afraid to ask how many clients they currently have. How long do you spend on each client? How often will you be checking in with your coach? Weekly, monthly? You want to find an online coach that has the time for you in their schedule. Sometimes it’s not always best to go with the coach on Instagram with 500k flowers. Likely, they have 200+ clients that only get about 10 minutes of their time a week.
- Experience. There is nothing like personal experience. A coach who has been in your shoes before has likely tested and perfected their methods and processes for providing the best to help you get the most out of your program. All of our FitBody Fusion coaches have been clients to the program before and have experienced trial and error first hand.
You might be feeling overwhelmed with all that you need to consider when choosing a coach. It’s important to know that you are not only investing your money, but your time and energy into something that you are going to benefit from. You need to be confident in your decision, and most importantly trust in the coach you choose. This will keep you feeling comfortable, motivated and inspired throughout your fitness journey.
Choosing an online coach can be a bit tricky. You never know what you are going to get! That is why it is important to find out how your potential online coach provides programs. For example, FitBody Fusion uses a custom app to create each clients training program and our coaches monitor your workouts so they know how the program is working for you. We also provide video tutorials of each exercise so you don’t go into the gym with no clue how to do something! Keep in mind, that is not how all coaches run their online programs.
FitBody Fusion also provides a free consultation call with any coach on our team so you can get a better feel for our philosophy, coaching style, make sure you and the coach are a good fit for each other and, most importantly, how we can help you achieve your fitness goals. Fill out a Transformation or Athlete Application and a coach will be in contact with you shortly!